Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Ayingel

The Inebriation Station

James the Defender

James: this is the ninja cat that fetches better than any dog I've EVER had, and I've had some awesome dogs. He's that kind of cat that challenges species boundaries. But that dog totally had it coming, and Merlin knew it.

Sounds to me like Hank was just curious. At any rate, animals are just funny to watch and see interact. They have quirks and traits just as well as we do. We can learn plenty from them as we teach and train them.

Bad furday

*Boredly shuffles around, doing the Thriller dance*

Pandora

*throws a waterballoon at Furday and hides*

Bad furday

*Takes his furry headphones out of his furry ears and looks around, but sees no one. Keeps dancing, leaving wet pawprints on the floor*

Are we still talking about the dentist? Before leaving for C5, I was supposed to have a dentits appointment, but they moved it to another day- which is too bad,

as I thought "If the plane crashes....at least I'll have clean teeth!" But then with it being moved...that thought was nullified. :p

Pandora

*sneaks silently to another booth, nails Furday with another water balloon and hides again*

Princess

*giggles*

Ayingel

Soooo....Just got my bonus today at work! AAAAND, I'm going to Washington DC in May!

James the Defender

I'm headed up north Jersey next week for a three day workshop! It's about two hours each way. Yay!

Mara

I have finally found a temporary solution to the static in my headphones, yay!

I just plugged them into the jack on the tower, instead of into the speaker. :p

Pandora

um... yeah, the more connections away from the audio source, the worse it'll be...

James the Defender

I have enjoyed my first week of work thus far!! Its been really wonderful! We're moving to a new building one mile down the road, so I've been helping with that. I can't wait to get trained to help kids! Here's our website of anyone is interested, although their services are southwestern New Jersey only: The Southwest Council, Inc.

Pandora

Tell me more about that Youth aspect... Something about prevention? Is that for keeping kids sober?

James the Defender

Tell me more about that Youth aspect... Something about prevention? Is that for keeping kids sober?

Yes. We are using scientifically proven prevention programs to help to prevent the community at large, including youth, from becoming addicted to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. I will be working with the youth aspect, mostly middle schoolers with programs called Life Skills Training, Keys to Innervisions, and Keepin' it R.E.A.L ( Refuse Explain Avoid Leave.)

I'll be working to empower youth to educate them to know they have a choice and that they are stronger than peer pressure, advertising, family history--at least in saying "no."--and other pressures to use and/or abuse drugs.

Edited by James the Defender

Pandora

Interesting. My PhD path research plans involve studies in risk and resiliance to promote psychology as a preventative medicine. So some aspects will deal with self-efficacy training (like what you're doing) and other's will take a more medical approach (for instance, research suggests that diets high in certain fats are associated with lowered risk of clinical depression).

Anyway, coolness! :-)

Ayingel

Sounds a lot like DARE.

I had to play superhero last night. One of my former students called me in a panic with nowhere to stay..

James the Defender

Sounds a lot like DARE.

It's far more effective than D.A.R.E, scientifically, of course. The more science that comes out on D.A.R.E, the more they see it's not effective. Most of the officers who do it are on some kind of restriction or have a few months left before retirement. Many of them really don't care about the program (fortunately for me, my officer in 6th grade did care) but I'm happy to be working with kids and doing other programs D.A.R.E doesn't do.

Radioactive Isotope

I remember DARE. I won the essay contest in 5th grade. Of course, I wasn't going to use drugs anyway because even then I knew they were bad for you.

James the Defender

Same here! :D

Mara

um... yeah, the more connections away from the audio source, the worse it'll be...

Yeah, I never had problems with my first few set of earphones.

It's just the recent ones.

Bad furday

*tracks snow inside the cantina, shakes himself dry, and lays in his booth, his fur all spikey*

Drake

Smells like wet Wook in here!

Princess

*grabs a drink* I've had a crappy past 2 days and I used my beautiful temp-tations bakeware 13x9 pan and I dropped it this morning and broke it :(

Ayingel

:(

James the Defender

Got back today from three days of training. 3 hour round trip EACH DAY. I'm so glad I don't have to go do it tomorrow. Training was needlessly long, but it was intensive and good. I'm now certified to run the Strengthening Families Program, Iowa Version. I'm exhausted...had a good stress reliever, though. :hehe: I love my wife.

Good three days. Glad it's all over.

Uncle Du

Who's leg does a guy gotta hump around here to get a dry martini?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.